Thursday, March 4, 2010

Update 3/4/10 Day 115

Dear friends,

Dr. Bagchi (Bob the Builder) was quite pleased with the progress of our man of steel (titanium, actually). In particular, he is so happy about the skin graft on Stephen's left leg. He reminded us of the "high risk of infection with that type of injury", and how often people wind up with amputations from such a bad wound. I have no idea how many prayers rocketed to heaven for the preservation of Smitty's legs, but I know there were many. Statistics are no match for the Great One. And believe me, I say that humbly, knowing full well it goes the other way for many wonderful people. Only the Great One Himself has all the ins and outs of each individual situation figured out. No matter what, though, He provides the necessary grace for the trial.

Dr. B. also smiled when Steve asked him about roller coasters (think summer!), and told Smitty no problem on that front. He did say his limitations would mostly be based on his strength. For example, goofing around in the Atlantic Ocean would not hurt him structurally, but he might want to make sure he's strong enough to go in without drowning. He also said "no contact sports (even I had that one figured out), and no CAR ACCIDENTS. Ha Ha, very funny.

Stephen asked about his elbow mobility, which is limited and has kind of hit a plateau. Now don't be offended, but Dr. Bagchi put it this way: "Elbows suck". His exact words. Apparently elbow injuries, even those not nearly as serious as our Hercules sustained, are sticky wickets. They're stubborn joints, and tricky to mess with. In fact, Dr. B. said he did not recommend another surgery for the elbow, because it's too risky, and probably won't help much. We were told from the beginning that the elbow would not fully recover. The only additional thing to do (besides just continuing with therapy), is to try this special contraption called a Dyna Splint. Stephen will wear this thing, and it will push his elbow joint just a little bit more, in an effort to give him a few more degrees of motion. Dr. B. ordered it from some company, so when it comes in I'll show you a picture of it. After the external fixator, I'm thinking this will be a piece of cake. How I take for granted my elbows! I think they deserve a cheer for their good service all these years...

I mentioned on yesterday's blog how greatly helped I am by the writings of 19th century preacher/theologian, Charles Spurgeon. When I read this today I thought of the many dear pilgrims on this road experiencing troubles of one kind or another:

"There is a lighthouse out at sea, it is a calm night. I cannot tell whether the edifice is firm; the tempest must rage about it, and then I shall know whether it will stand. So with the Spirit's work: if it were not on many occasions surrounded with tempestuous waters, we should not know that it was true and strong; if the winds did not blow upon it, we should not know how firm and secure it was." Charles Spurgeon

Without a doubt, the edifice is true and strong. My weaknesses and yours are simply the proving grounds for the never failing love of God. I can't begin to tell you how often I have felt like I was sinking, either through my own foolishness or because of the perils of "this present darkness", but the edifice has not failed. And it never will. May every generation give Him their unfettered devotion!

Who knows, maybe the Great One will say "elbow, bend!" Or maybe he'll say "Stephen, bend!" Either way, He's the one spinning the orbs of the Universe. How mind boggling is it that He gives us free will, and wants us to have "abundant life". Go for it, friends. Bless your coworkers, love your children, buy your groceries, hammer your nails, crunch your numbers or number your crunches (ha!). Whatever you do, do it with gusto. He wants you to take part in this crazy pilgrim parade. Don't worry about the tempest. The edifice will hold. Even if the elbow won't bend...

Your friend on the pilgrim road,

Loriann

2 comments:

Sandy said...

So happy to hear all of this wonderful news about my dear brother in law!!! Glad to see that Hannah is doing so well too - Take care of yourself too Loriann - we are always sending good thoughts and prayers from Syracuse!!!

Unknown said...

Dear Smith Family,

I hope this isn't too "off topic," but if all of you Lord of the Rings Fans in your family (including movies, and sundry writings, including "the Sil" which I believe Hannah has read) would like to giggle your heads off, Here Is Your Laugh for the Day! (Let me know if the link doesn't work).

Love, Susan K.

P.S. I think Steve will especially like these (Movie enthusiast that he is!).

Enjoy!
Here's the link (just copy and paste the whole darn thing into a browser, and keep scrolling down and going to new pages at the bottom to see all of the ideas):

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=242352;page=1;mh=-1;guest=10498527;sb=post_time;so=DESC