Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Update 3/17/10 Day 128

Dear friends,

Happy St. Patrick's Day! We wore the green today and got our 50 cent ice cream cones from Stewart's. And of course, every March 17 involves the viewing of John Ford's classic, "The Quiet Man" with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara.

The story of the real St. Patrick is packed with more drama and pathos than any work of fiction. Turns out Patrick was actually a citizen of what was then Britain, was kidnapped by Irish raiders (at around 16 years old), sold into slavery in Ireland, escaped back to Britain, and later returned to the place of his captivity. There, with pity in his heart for the emptiness and superstition of a race oppressed and steeped in paganism, Patrick brought the gospel of Jesus Christ to the Irish people. This was good news, great news (despite man's tendency to corrupt the truth) for the people of Ireland. Light was proclaimed over the deep darkness. And the great Irish people have revered Patrick ever since. Of course there's more to the story, and some of the legends seem a little far fetched to me, but who knows? It was a long time ago, and none of us can really completely unravel the mystery of the past. One thing is for certain: the Great One always has, and always will love the Irish people. Like all the rest of the world, His big heart is for them to see Him as He truly is - the lover of their souls. St. Patrick was a messenger of that "life that is truly life." God bless him for his willingness to put the needs of others over his own! He was a missionary with vision and abiding love, even for those who had persecuted him.

Stephen had therapy today, and I went with him to get instructed on the care and feeding of the Dyna Splint (ha!) He will eventually wear the flextion brace for 8 straight hours, and the extension brace for 8 hours the next day. The hope is he can wear them while sleeping, but if not, he'll have to endure them during the day. Of course then it's more of a cumbersome thing because it gets in the way of daily function. We'll just have to see how it goes. In the meantime, he's doing well with his walking and strengthening. He's a wonder! I am being completely honest when I say he hasn't complained once during this whole process. Not once. (I'm talking about Steve, now, not me!) I simply love the man. And I am so very proud of him. Wow.

If you want a laugh, read the comments from yesterday's blog. A hoot! Also, thanks for the emails on your favorite Seuss books! I have a couple to locate now that I've never read. And no, I really don't eat eggs. I have never eaten chicken ovum, since I was a little girl. I am not at all a fussy eater. Eggs are the only food I will not consume. There. You know one of my oddball idiosyncrasies.

I've got to go and catch the rest of "The Quiet Man". Can't miss the extremely politically incorrect scene where John Wayne is dragging Maureen O'Hara through the field, and one of the bystanders says "Here's a fine stick to beat the lovely lady..."

We're still trekking friends. Somehow along the way here our spiritual muscles must be getting stronger. All of us. Even if we can't perceive it. "Faith is being sure of what we hope for, and certain of what we do not see..." The view at the top will be breathtaking. But precious to the Great One will be all we have gained along the way.

I love you dearly!

Your friend on the pilgrim road,

Loriann

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Loriann! You guys should totally check out Darby O'Gill and the Little People. From a certified colleen, I'm telling you it's a classic in our family this time of year. Not as epic as the story of St. Patrick, but yet still a fun movie for lads and lasses alike!
Lots of love support and prayers from my way to yours,
Cara

The one, the only said...

Well if you put it like that, who really wants to eat chicken ovum?? Thanks, I'm going to have that word image in my mind next time I go for some scrambled eggs. :)

Tracy said...

I don’t like being a downer but I got some upsetting news this morning that I had to share. Our team’s youngest member is spending the day at Albany Med because his 26-year-old best friend was hit by a drunk driver last night as he was leaving a bar (hit & run). He is not expected to make it. Please pray for him and his family.

I had tears in my eyes when I heard the story even though I’ve never met this young man. It brought me back to last November. It truly is a miracle that Stephen and Hannah survived their accident. They are such special people and have touched so many lives. I tell their story to everyone I know hoping that what happened to your family never happens to anyone else. Loriann, I applaud you for what you’ve done so far and for what I know you’re going to do in the future to change the way people view drinking and driving. Thank you.

Much love,
Tracy

Stephen said...

Tracy,

So sorry to hear that. We'll be praying for the young man. We might not know him, but God certainly does.

Stephen