Saturday, March 20, 2010

Update 3/20/10 Day 131

Dear friends,

Stephen took 2 walks today, partly to enjoy the outstanding spring weather, and partly to "grease" that stiff right knee. I walked with him the second time, and we met up with many of our neighbors, some who we haven't seen since the fall. Lexi the dog even came out and I threw her a stick to fetch. I couldn't have been more content. I've been learning the thing the Great One really wants me to get: enjoy life today, while everything isn't fixed, because there will always be problems. Some days I get it and some days I forget it. Two steps forward, one step back. Such is life.

I spent lots of time in the car today. Joseph did some driving (he's doing a really good job!), and there were errands and the "teenage limo service" many parents find themselves running when their kids are in this time of life. I wouldn't trade a second of it. I loved when they were babies, and toddlers, and elementary school age and now. There were times when they were little that I wished it away - (when I was pulling 3 of them out of car seats in a two door car), but looking back I can also say there were many moments I savored. I can picture Joseph in his diaper and cowboy boots (he insisted on wearing them to bed), and Hannah with the pigtails sticking out and following her big brother everywhere, and David John sucking on those two fingers. Even then, God was reminding me to live in the moment. It takes a lot of living to learn what living is about. If there is anything good that came out of that terrible car accident, it's the ever present reminder of the fragile nature of life. How I want to get this! Every day.

Hannah Rejoice, Lauren and the beautiful Jessica did hair coloring today. My daughter is way more gutsy than I ever was as a teenager. The red streaks are wild! She's stepping out a little bit, and I'm saying to myself "why not?". I mean, it's only hair, right? With all she's been through, and continues to grow through (ouch), a little levity with hair seems appropriately frivolous. How I wish I could make everything in her life lovely and pain free! I know the impossibility of such a wish, and even the peril of a life without adversity. But it is unfair that she pays for someone else's sin. Still, the Great One has all that figured out too. And He never misses a beat. Hannah is in better hands than mine.

I'm reading a gripping non fiction book called "The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York". Man, this book reads like a novel. And the political corruption of New York City at the turn of the 20th Century rivals that of today. The theme of the book seems to be "be sure your sin will find you out..." Arsenic and Cyanide couldn't be detected at one point, but people with passion worked hard to find a way to catch the bad guys. And with persistence, and a stubborn unwillingness to give up despite daunting obstacles, these guys figured out the mysteries hidden in darkness. I believe the Great One takes delight when scientists finally uncover the enigmas of science and use their knowledge for good. Anyway, it's a great read!

So looking forward to assembling together tomorrow with some of the people of God, who are part of that great sea of lovers of the Great One all over this incredible planet. And He says to us "Be devoted to one another in brotherly love..." Let it be so. Now and forever.

Enjoy your day, enjoy your life, enjoy your world. I know everything is far from perfect. I'm not being Pollyanna, believe me. It takes effort. And you can still do it when you're sad, mad or confused. Maybe we can only practice joy for 5 minutes. But it's a beginning. I'm determined to learn.

Your friend on the pilgrim road,

Loriann

No comments: