Thursday, March 18, 2010

Update 3/18/10 Day 129

Dear friends,

I was sitting on my front stoop this morning, and it occurred to me that the car crash lives in my head every day, whether I like it or not. I guess it's one of those things that actually changes your paradigm permanently. Of course it is still so evident before me: Stephen's injuries, family relationship changes since November 8, paperwork, court dates, insurance notifications, etc., etc... But even if all of these things were invisible, I think somehow the thing would still reside in my psyche. I wonder if it will always be that way? I talked to the Great One alot today about the whole thing. And after a good cry in the car (ever had one of those?), I felt comforted, hopeful and reassured. The pilgrim road is indeed a rocky one. And steep at times. But it is never solitary. The One and Only is always on the spot. Always.

Smitty and I took a little break today (he's been working very hard on studying for his license exam, and he's actually taking the practice exams!), and we walked at the Corning Preserve. It was much different from the last time we walked down there, when we covered about 4 miles in 40 minutes. This time we covered about a half mile in the same amount of time. What can I say? We were happy to be there, glad for the sunshine, delighted that we have life and hope, and sad for what has been lost. Stephen is so convinced about miracles now, that he really believes God could grow his leg back to the original length. I admit I don't have faith for that right now, he does, but regardless we keep moving forward, one step at a time.

This drunk driving thing is really bothering me today. Our dear friend Terrific Tracy told us about a 26 year old man (her coworker's best friend), who died today at Albany Med, after being hit by an intoxicated driver. And it seems everyone I talk to knows someone who has been injured or killed by the tragic decision someone made to drink and drive. I'm frankly fed up with the whole thing. I'm not smart enough to figure out all the details of getting this thing under control, but I've got to believe that stiffening the penalties for DWI will help. Anyway, when we're in one piece over here I'm fixin' to knock on the lawmaker's doors and tell them what I think. Now you know when it comes to saying something, I can do it! I just need to learn a few things from my friends in the advocacy world before I go opening my mouth. But open it I will. Because enough is enough.

Miss Rejoice is learning a song, an old spiritual sung by slaves right here in America. (By the way, what a blot on the history of our country. Thank God for the brave men and women who fought the (often bloody) battle to end the blight of slavery here). The Columbia Chorus is singing "Shut the door, keep out the devil..." Don't you love it! She's been singing it around the house. I say a little AMEN under my breath every time I hear her. Sometimes that's what it takes. That enemy of our souls presents us with a lie, and we just gotta shut the door! Slam.

Gotta go help young master David with his science homework. We're working on the layers of the atmosphere. I love this stuff. The wonders of the natural world only fill me with greater awe for the One who brought the whole thing into being. I will never cease to be amazed.

You my bloggie friends, are tops with me. I'm praying you will "shut the door, keep out the devil." You pray that for me too, please? And for the family of a 26 year old young man who died needlessly. May they find the Great One, who is near to all who are broken hearted.

Your friend on the pilgrim road,

Loriann

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loriann these nuggets (pure gold) that you share are priceless.......I'm still pondering 'it's an inside job' and indeed it is! Todays, 'shut the door', equally encouraging.

I'm so glad that you guys were able to go for that walk! WOW! Think about it.........(look who I'm talking to) as you said, the accident is ever before you; but it's like God moved at warp speed (though it must seem like an eternity at times) to get Stephen to where he's at!!!!

Anyway-------------I just wanted to say hi & that this little bloggie is still 'with you' on the pilgrim road :)

Sue Cummings

Anonymous said...

Loriann these nuggets (pure gold) that you share are priceless.......I'm still pondering 'it's an inside job' and indeed it is! Todays, 'shut the door', equally encouraging.

I'm so glad that you guys were able to go for that walk! WOW! Think about it.........(look who I'm talking to) as you said, the accident is ever before you; but it's like God moved at warp speed (though it must seem like an eternity at times) to get Stephen to where he's at!!!!

Anyway-------------I just wanted to say hi & that this little bloggie is still 'with you' on the pilgrim road :)

Sue Cummings

Anonymous said...

Amen Miss Rejoice. Just knowing that she's singing is music to my ears.

As far as crying in the car...you bet, doesn't everyone?