Monday, March 22, 2010

Update 3/22/10 Day 133


Dear friends,

Well, the man went to work today, in an office, for the first time since early November. Doesn't he look dapper? Apparently he was very busy too, getting up to speed and setting up his office. He goes back tomorrow, but Wednesday is a therapy day. He'll be on 3 days a week for a while yet (probably another 3 weeks to a month or so). Dr. Samaio doesn't want him going too fast. There's still lots of healing going on, and that will continue.

The Dynasplint was taken off in the middle of the night last night. It was just too uncomfortable, and Smitty needed his shut eye before the first day at work. Between the mountain of additional pillows, the Dynasplint and the cat, there's not much room on the bed. It could be alot worse. I could be there all by myself. So I'll be thankful for the extras, while looking forward to the day they aren't needed anymore.

It was a bit strange, being alone in the house most of the day. I was the white tornado, though, in my kitchen. I'm still not done, but I sanitized that room with elbow grease and Clorox! Then I hit the bathroom. Then I put my feet up for a while and read a little more of my book about poison in the early 20th century. During Prohibition, the rate of alcoholism actually skyrocketed, as did alcohol deaths. People were drinking methyl alcohol and killing themselves at an alarming rate. Once cars became affordable, drunk driving was in full swing. People were killed like animals in the street by intoxicated drivers, many of whom died themselves in cars without any safety equipment at all. Things change, but how they stay the same...

So now it's time for me to get to work on my victim impact statement for the sentencing of Oscar Lewis toward the end of April. I actually have to get it written by mid April. I've been putting off the whole thing, partly out of laziness, and partly because I really don't look forward to thinking too much about the impact all of this has had on our lives. We really are moving ahead, thanks to the Great One, whose "mercies are new every morning". I know this is important, and I'll get it done, but I'll ask for your prayers as I work my way through the thing.

I read this passage by C.S. Lewis after reading all this stuff about alcoholism during Prohibition. It was enlightening:

"One great piece of mischief has been done by the modern restriction of the word Temperance to the question of drink. It helps people to forget that you can be just as intemperate about lots of other things. A man who makes golf or his motor bicycle the center of his life, or a woman who devotes all her thoughts to clothes, or bridge, or her dog, is being just as "intemperate" as someone who gets drunk every evening. Of course, it does not show on the outside so easily; bridge mania or golf mania do not make you fall down in the middle of the road. But God is not deceived by externals."

Makes you think, doesn't it.

Your friend on the pilgrim road,

Loriann

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking good, Steve! How was that first day back to work in an office?

Loriann,
Unfortunately, they do call it a "victim impact" statement.

But don't look at it as being a victim. Just tell how this accident has affected your life and the lives of your entire family. Turn it into a "how our lives were changed" statement.

We love you all and continue to pray for complete healing and restoration for everyone.

Lorraine & Ernie

Christina said...

Wow, sooooooooooooooo handsome !! LOVE YOU !!

Anonymous said...

Hey Steve, you look WAY better in that suit than in the Dynasplint! I'd hire you just for looking so awesome!

Will be praying, Loriann, as you prepare your impact statement. I can understand you wanting to put it off - too much to think about - kind of like doing step 4 in the 12step programs. Tough thing to do. Lots of emotions and memories to sort through, but I so believe, knowing you, that the impact your statement will have will be one from the Throneroom of God. I am believing for the Lord to direct you so clearly and succinctly, that HIS heart will be made manifest through you that day. It will not be just an emotional statement, but a statement of TRUTH. "A word aptly spoken is as apples of gold in setting of silver" says the Word. Divine Nature set in Redemption. Let's hope that is what Oscar Lewis will hear on that day so that he will be freed from his bondage, as will all of your hearers (me included). You know I love you dearly. XXOO Mar