Saturday, January 9, 2010

Update 1/9/10 Day 62

Dear friends,

I love this quote: "The armies of Israel looked at Goliath through the eyes of men and said, 'He's too big to beat.' David looked at Goliath through the eyes of God and said 'He's too big to miss."
How great is that? I know it applies to your life somewhere. It applies to mine with laser sharp accuracy. The whole scenario is too big. Broken body. Long recovery. Relational issues. Financial issues. Psychological issues. Too big to beat? Not with the Great One. Too big to miss.

Joseph's band slept over last night. I got the Blazin' Buffalo Ranch Chips, the Mountain Dew and Dr. Pepper, and they commandeered the basement. What great kids! Despite the volatility of my relationship with my 16 year old at times, I am so grateful for the person he is and that he and his homeys were safe in my basement. They weren't even that loud! Now that Steve and I are on the first floor instead of the second, I was a little worried about the noise factor, what with our being right over their heads. But no problem. (We were so tired we probably could have slept through the blast at Yucca Flats, but we're still delighted). I just saw a commercial that said "parenthood is why some animals eat their young..." They must be teenage young! (Only kidding, sort of). I adore my first born. He's learning and growing, just like me. But he has less mistakes behind him to learn from. I wouldn't trade him for a million trillion others. But I would like to see his Chemistry grade make like a helium balloon...

No old movie tonite because the Cowboys are playing football. The man has been a Cowboys fan since the days of Roger Staubach. I want to watch my Andy Hardy movie, but tomorrow will be fine. If you have a favorite classic movie, please let me know! I wish it were possible to select networks individually from the cable company. I'd be first in line for Turner Classic Movies. But now that Tracy so kindly got us the subscription for Nexflix, we can order the classics. We've seen many, but I always love to hear what other folks enjoy. Like I've said in a previous post, these pictures are my non narcotic tranquilizers.

Felt a little trapped inside today, but I'm not a fan of the cold either. I did go to Target to buy a new broom and dustpan (see how exciting a day can be?), and to take Joe to the great Margo for a haircut. This evening I attended the last night of our week of prayer to ready ourselves for 2010. As a perfect way to conclude, we prayed for the children of our church, the next generation. I had the pleasure of holding Pastor Greg and Melanie's baby (she's simply adorable in every way), and found myself asking the Great One to protect her from danger. From danger, but not from adversity. I know I've prayed that for my own children. You may say "but He didn't protect Hannah from danger". This is where the big T comes and makes its grand entrance. TRUST. Hannah is alive. Would any parent want their child to go through this? Absolutely not. But I have banked everything on God's goodness and I have experienced the reality of His enormous, relentless, unyielding love. Now I ask that He does all the great work within my kids that our particular brand of adversity can produce. I have no idea how the whole thing works. I only know that the One who works it knows what He's doing. I'm not smart enough to run the universe. I can't even load the dishwasher right. So I think I'll leave the mysteries of life to the Great One.

Time to put on the electric blanket and floss the teeth. Time to start locking up the house and getting out the pillows to prop the fixator for the night. Time to "lay down in peace, and sleep, for you alone, oh Lord, make me dwell in safety". My dear friends, sleep in peace. May you see all your giants as "too big to miss".

Your friend on the pilgrim road,

Loriann

3 comments:

Ann said...

Loriann, my favorite old movie is The Long, Long Trailer with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz(sp?). It was just before their tv days and they did a terrific job!
Ann

Kari said...

Loriann,
I am right there with you sister, keep fightin' the good fight, you are of amazing strong courage, God put every cell of your body together for days such as these!
Love Kari

Unknown said...

Dear Ann and Kari,

Thank you both for your comments! I eat them for breakfast:)

Your friend on the pilgrim road,

Loriann