Saturday, January 30, 2010

Update 1/30/10 Day 83

Dear friends,

It's stupifying at times how a day can get away from you. Stayed in bed a little extra time this morning reading "The Count of Monte Cristo", and avoiding getting out of the warm covers to tackle laundry, breakfast, unloading the dishwasher, etc., etc. I declare my lazy nature got the best of me, and at 9pm I still felt behind. Do we ever really catch up?

Stephen is the pancake maker in our house, but since he can't reach the counter I'm the designated flipper. My pancakes are sub par, but edible. The kids, the cousins, the brother and the husband all ate them up, with sausages on the side, and no one seemed the worse for wear. Still, I look forward to seeing my main squeeze standing at the counter, whipping up the batter and reinvoking his status as pancake king. It's just a little sad to rewind and picture him, strong and strident, owning the kitchen at breakfast. On the bright side, I can make a new picture in my head, where Stephen will once again create his culinary morning feasts. It's a while ahead on the pilgrim road, but it's coming.

Tomorrow is Stephen's 49th birthday. I thank the Great One that he is alive to see this many years. It's a reminder to seize the day, because we don't know what a day will bring. Things don't happen to other people, friends. But no matter, because whatever happens, He will "never leave you or forsake you". That truth flashes in neon lights on the billboard of our lives. Happy Birthday, my dearest! Many more joyful years and a few extra as plunder for your trouble! The Faithful and True has been good to you!

We have decided to forgo gifts and save some money for a nice overnight together once Smitty is able. Perhaps to the Adirondacks, or maybe the beach, but somewhere we can take a walk, and hold hands, and eat a delicious meal at a real table in real chairs (the kind without wheels!).
By then the weather will be warmer (MUCH warmer), and the days longer, and the grass green. I always long for spring once February makes her entrance. February may be the shortest month, but it seems the longest. I will do my best to find the good in February this year. But I confess the wildness of my imagination, which takes me someplace warm and sunny, reading a wonderful book and drinking a Starbucks Mocha Frappucino... Dare to dream.

Going to sign off early tonite. So what if today wasn't perfect. So what if it wasn't organized well. So what if I didn't accomplish everything on my list. The Great One is the only One I'm worried about pleasing. And He's way more interested in people than things. Besides, there's always tomorrow...

Here's to relationships over clean laundry!

Your friend on the pilgrim road,

Loriann

No comments: