Thursday, January 28, 2010

Update 1/28/10 Day 81

Dear friends,

I don't know if it's the cold, or that all this is getting old (a rhyme!), but the blues grabbed me today and I'm not doing a very good job of shaking them off. Under the wet blanket, I can kind of hear the voice of the Great One saying "Bear up, it will be well." So it's another turn on the pilgrim road, and this one through a tunnel, and I'm not sure when the tunnel ends. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe next week. Maybe longer. I did get some good advise from an Oscar Wilde quote: "People are never so trivial as when they take themselves very seriously". Time to get a little perspective, look in the mirror, and have a good laugh. It may not end the thing, but it sure keeps it from getting into self pity. That's a place you don't want to go.

I feel like I need to clear something up, and maybe no one is thinking this way but I've got to make sure. I am more grateful than I can say for the material help our family has received. Money, meals, stuff, services...it's been amazing. A few times in the blog I've mentioned that something has broken down, or how we're looking for a car, or the scary world of medical bills. I talk about these things because they are part of our life, and I've opened the book to you all. But God forbid I should come across as looking for hand outs or gifts! I hope no one has read about our ordinary mishaps and thought it was a veiled request for help. My gosh, I could never, ever thank you enough for all you've done for us! I am beyond backed up on thank you cards to the people who donated through the Advent Conspiracy. Anyway, please know that I just tell it like it is, and I say truthfully before the Great One that my only motive in speaking of all of this is to be transparent. You are the best friends a girl ever had!

Great meeting this morning at Columbia High School to nail down Hannah's gym program and her 504 plan. I can't say enough about how kind and accommodating Columbia has been to us. Hannah will be able to keep her schedule pretty much the same, only she will take gym in the fitness center with juniors and seniors, working out using her individualized plan. She didn't need adaptive gym, only a protective environment to keep safe that precious gray matter. Miss Rejoice is being carefully watched and "momma henned" by a team of truly fine teachers. I have been more impressed with this large public school than I ever imagined. I did lots of worrying, sending Joseph and Hannah from a small private school to a large public one, but it has turned out to be absolutely the best fit. Steve and I sought God heartily before we made the decision, and practicality played a role too. But the Almighty saw the whole picture, and His sight is perfect. Hallelujah!

So here I have this Hercules, this Bionic Man, who can undergo the pain of external fractures, 4 orthopedic surgeries (in 16 days), open wounds, and countless other unpleasant pains and procedures, and he acts like he's 5 when I pull off a band aid. I kid you not, if you could have heard the yelp he made when I removed that hanging strip, you would never have guessed how strong and resilient the guy really is. I have been abusing him about it since, and I encourage you to do the same. Gotta love him!

Thinking about those great saints, who "wandered about in sheepskin and goatskins...the world was not worthy of them". They gave up all for the truth. Our little problems hardly compare. That's perspective. Not that ours don't matter, but they find their place in the dynamic of a fallen world, of which the scriptures say : "Man is born to trouble, as surely as the sparks fly upward..." So I will take Oscar Wilde's advise, and above all humbly listen to the Great One, and go through the tunnel. Wow, you're still with me! Whatever you do, don't let me take myself too seriously. There's so much to laugh about, even in the veil of tears!

Your friend on the pilgrim road,

Loriann

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe I speak for many when I say that that this blog has given so much to so many. Personally, you have taught me how to trust in Him more than I ever I thought I was capable of. Your cheerleaders along this path take from your writings daily and if there is any way to give back, it's an honor. Don't change what you write or how you say it, it's what makes you you and your transparency so real. You have a way of putting it out there that so many of us can relate to. If anyone of us have a way to help, please allow us to do just that. Loriann, you are the real deal, an inspiration to all.

Anonymous said...

Hi Loriann....I am a member of the older (wiser?) generation, and I have learned the hard way(through several tough situations in my life)....that you must program some fun in your life. If you don't plan it, it won't happen. One of the most exhausting things that happens after a crisis, is talking about it 10-15 times a day to friends and family who want an update. Of course they have a great need to know....but perhaps you can talk to one person, and they can pass on the info to others....the next day a different person can do the "passing on info". So..plan to get out of the house, and do something fun...a walk at Five Rivers, a fun movie, lunch with a friend(with fun conversation) etc etc. It is truly refreshing. In your situation, I think getting out ,even for half an hour, is important. One other depressing thing in the winter which adds to our woes, is lack of light. Hope this will help. (:-)

Anonymous said...

Loriann, We love you just the way you are. Your blog is a window into God's grace. Nobody is up all the time, we just don't write about it. It is the up and downs of real life ( that might stink sometimes ) Your honesty helps us to be honest. Hang in there, help is on the way. Until then have a jelly donut!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love, Phyllis

Cindi = ) said...

So true Phyllis! And Loriann you are the REAL deal. That's what makes me love you sooo! Yes, I'm still with you and praying for you all during these mundane days! XOXO

Anonymous said...

You asked for something? Never read that? ; ) We ALL say to our friends, "I cannot believe how everything breaks at once..... the vacuum, the dishwasher, the freezer..." We have all experienced that and when we tell our friends our frustration, we do not expect them to go out and buy new items for us - so please do not let the enemy 'curb' your 'freedom flow of thought' in this blog. As many have said - we are all blessed, and reminded of His grace and love through your read. God bless you -- Joanna

Anonymous said...

I missed the entires where you asked for anything but prayers... whatever. You share and offer inspiration, please don't change that. With all that you are going through I hate to ask anything of you, but I need you to remain just as you are...genuine and real. I am growing closer to Him through you and love where it's taking me.

May God continue to bless you and your family.