Saturday, November 21, 2009

Update 11/21/09

Dear friends,

"If God is for us, who can be against us?" 

 Hannah was watching High School Musical today with her cousins and brothers, grandma and aunt, when she remarked "No one talks like that, that's so awkward!"  And that comment is so Hannah.  We have a long way to go, but today I am so encouraged by my daughter's smile, her wit and even a bit of sarcasm.  She used the term "epic fail", which assures me she still has a teenage brain.  Tomorrow (Sunday) we are 2 weeks out from the accident, and not only are my darling ones alive, they are improving.  Hannah got on facebook for just a few minutes today, but WOW.  She relished looking at many of the cards from her friends at Columbia High School, and she is trying so hard to remember some of life's details.  Please pray hard for her concerning some of the restlessness and anxiety she is experiencing.  These are all natural results of brain trauma, but so far the Great One has given us supernatural answers to our prayers.  You guys have been to war for me.  I love you more than I can say.

Tomorrow, Pastor Greg and Peter the Great will attempt to link Stephen and Hannah by computer.  Being technologically challenged, I only know this involves something called skype (sounds like a rap singer), and I want this to work for both their sakes.  They miss one another desperately, and right now the in-person thing is impossible.  What a day it will be when we are all together again!  Angels will be hootin' and hollerin' about the goodness of God.

Stephen is doing so well.  He's having some trouble digesting his food, so he's not eating too much.  We are truly thankful for the dear folks at Albany Med who prepare his meals, but institutional food just isn't the same as home cooking.  Yogurt seems to be going ok so we'll take it a day at a time.  

I saw the stitches on his arm today.  You fellas will be truly impressed.  What a He-man!  The nurses on the unit love Steve, and who wouldn't.   He is so very grateful to be alive, and looking forward to moving ahead.  Monday is a big surgery day for him.  You're all getting so strong flexing those prayer muscles, so work out hard on Monday.  And for every minute you exert yourself for Steve's sake, I will pray a blessing back on you times 10!

Joseph and David hung with their cousins from Virginia today.  God bless my brother-in-law Richard and his wife for traveling so far and caring for my boys so beautifully.  Grandma, who is almost 80, made the trip too with Aunt Debbie, and I can't describe her complete joy at seeing Stephen up and aware.  A mother's heart is a mother's heart at any age.

Amy and Kim sat with Hannah and I tonite till my baby girl fell asleep in my arms.  We watched "An Affair to Remember" with the original tall, dark and handsome Cary Grant, and at Hannah's request we "kept talking".  Somehow the ordinariness of conversation brings her peace.  

I'm finding my way with the light I have, and it is enough.  I want it to be next year, or 2 weeks and 1 day ago, but I'm here and it's now.  We're sharing the trenches - we will also share the victory.  You all are the best comrades in the world.

Your friend on the pilgrim road,

Loriann

PS - love your comments.  When I'm a little more sane I will try to respond to them.  Thanks for your grace - I'm just so darn tired....

15 comments:

Larry said...

This foot soldier has offered up prayers for your loved ones engaged in this epic recovery. Just found out the horrific, shattering news two days ago. I would ask, Where do you get the strength? But I already know the answer. I could not sleep the night I read the news. Silence all around me. As deep as the night itself. But in your brillant essays there is light and hope. Our love to your loved ones.
You are not alone on the Pilgrim Road.
Larry & family

Judy Almy said...

Psalm 94:18-19
When I said,"My foot is slipping," your unfailing love, LORD, supported me.
When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.
Micah 7:7
But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me.
We love you! We continue to pray for you. The Almys

Anonymous said...

Our God is an awesome God who is doing wonderful and mighty things. I am so encouraged to hear the latest news and my heart is filled with thanksgiving over the Lord answering our prayers and His continued healing. Love you all Connie

Anonymous said...

He reached down from on high and took hold of me(the smith family);He drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me. They confronted me(the smith family) in the days of my disaster, but the Lord was my (their) support. He brought them into a spacious place; He rescued them because He delighted in them. Ps 18:16-19.
Believing and holding unto this for your entire family. We are praying, weeping for you, and believing in our God of miracles. Love, Elizabeth for the Inglis family.

Diane Marcelle said...

I have been struggling this past year with the many sufferings that invade our lives, often thinking, "not this, Lord." but God has been showing me that what is "good" to Him often doesn't seem or feel "good" to us. "Beloved...rejoice insofar as you share Christ's sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed." You are rejoicing...you are singing His praises, and His glory is revealed day by day in your lives! You are a light on a hill, singing "Jesus loves you!" to a suffering world without Christ.
"We do not lose heart...for this slight momentary affliction is preparing for us AN ETERNAL WEIGHT OF GLORY BEYOND ALL COMPARISON, as we look not to things seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal." My prayer is that the eternal continues to be your vantage point, as you work moment by moment through the transient. I love you and your beautiful family, who are being made more beautiful for all eternity with each passing day! Diane and all the Marcelles

Fijals said...

Loriann, your OSL family misses you greatly, and you were especially in our thoughts at the OSL banquet last night. But we are fully with you in spirit and prayer, and are encouraged by all the progress Steve and Hannah are making and the strength you all have in the Lord. Through it all we see your joy in the midst of pain. How beautiful you are.

Love Lisa and Al

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you remember me but I am Danelle, Doreen Bellamy's little sister. I am praying for your family. God is so good and faithful. He will perform miracles. I have loved hearing the stories already about God healing steve and hannah. He wants the glory so He will do amazing things. Know that I am praying for you, and will continue to rejoice in the amazing miracles God is doing. I am also praying for your other children. God Bless you all!

Love,
Danelle

Anonymous said...

Our God is the God of miracles, the God of all comfort, the lover of our souls.

Sometimes when I am so tired and want to go right to sleep, as I am laying down to put head on my pillow I say to myself: "And He gives His beloved sleep." (Ps. 127:2) And then I lay my head in His lap and fall asleep.

We are believing for complete healing and restoration for both Hannah & Steve, and for strength for all of you. You are all in our prayers.

We love you.

Lorraine & Ernie

Posterfix said...

I really wish I could be up there to do a lot of Monty Python (from memory) for Loriann, Steven and Hannah! Loriann write back when you can! I want so to be up there and visit--let me know when the time is good. We prayed extra hard in Church today.
Chris

Rachel said...

Loriann,
My heart and prayers have been and will continue to be with you and your family. I war with you and will not give up expecting continued miracles and the power of God to be manifested completely in Steve and Hannah! He is their healer; He is their portion; He is more than enough. Know that you are loved. May God's strength overwhelm you. I hope to see you soon as I have something to give to you. Love and prayers, Rachel Deeb

Anonymous said...

Each of you make an amazing family mentally, physically and spiritually. What an honor to be praying for you and standing with you. We love you lots

D Bell said...

Loriann,
We have already received from you the tenfold. You gave it in advance, before you ever know you would need some for yourself. In the trenches for you guys.
Love Doreen

Mary Louise said...

It was so good to see Hannah on Friday night. She was so alert and sweet, just like usual. I know she will completely recover and have a grace, compassion and strength that only comes through walking a hard path. Our prayers continue to fly heavenward for the whole family!

Jon Morse said...

Just wanted to let you know you have myself and many youth warriors in NH praying for you as well

Anonymous said...

Just want to let you know that people beyond the four walls of the church are getting touched by your story.
Love you guys :)