Thursday, September 16, 2010

Day 311 Twisting Like a Tornado as the Blog Winds Down

Dear friends,

It's one of those evenings when you are getting the abridged version of life in Smittyland. (I always say that, and then go on to write way more than I thought I would). It was a day when there was too much stuff and not enough hours. I'm looking forward to eternity, when there will be no rat race, and no battle with the clock. I think the problem of time is up there in my top 3 frustrations in life. I'm trying to learn not to hurry, not to worry. Both are challenges, and I confess that I lose ground as fast as I gain it in this particular arena. There you have it. The truth is it's up to me to slow down. The Great One has put no mandate on me to twist like a tornado through my days. It's learned behavior, and it can be unlearned. Despite a culture working in the other direction. Despite my drama queen tendencies. Brother Lawrence, who you can read about in one of my favorite books "The Practice of the Presence of God", found his way in slowing down and hearing from the One and Only. It took time, it took practice, but he was able to run a busy kitchen and be totally at peace in the middle of the jumble. I want to be like him here in the 21st century.

Anyway, it's another bullet point nite. These little bits will be a feature on my website. Which I am stalled on. Home schooling, blogging, working on the Dessert Nite, and the stuff I do at work take up a lot of time and gray cells, so that extra bit of writing is on hold. I'll get it ready by November 12, and the plan is to keep blogging, probably once a week, while I work on the book that will tell this story. I'm still sorting it all out, asking God which way to go so I don't get too big for my britches or too overwhelmed for my average abilities (no false humility here, just a realistic assessment of myself based on past performance…). Here's a little overview of life in the Meadow Lane mansion:

Weather Outside: Last I looked it was drizzling. Earlier today it was warm and windy (I love, love, love windy days), and Domino the Kitty was enjoying her early days of being outside (now that she has all her shots).

Food for Thought: David made Potato Corn Chowder with me for "practical arts" for home school, and next week he's making hard tack after we watch "The Magnificent Voyage of Christopher Columbus". (As an aside, that hard tack must have gotten pretty nasty on those long voyages…)

Children: Joe is playing guitar like a madman, and writing lots and lots of music. Of course the fact that he ought to be doing Physics homework is a a bone of contention, but that's another story… Hannah is now writing for the Columbia High newspaper, and tutoring a classmate in Spanish. In addition, Jessica D. highlighted Miss Rejoice's hair in a turquoisey kind of color. Hannah helps her little brother with his Spanish too, which is quite the hoot. They spend a lot of time laughing, but David is getting it! Speaking of the youngest Smitty, he was thrilled to hear he's almost done with the rubber bands on his braces. He's reading lots of cool stuff for school, and I am having a great time learning right alongside him. He's learning the capitals and we did Arizona today. There was a bit in there about the gunfight at the OK corral. It was news to me that the fight ended with the Earps ending the show in a hot 20 seconds. The things you learn when you're 50.

What I'm awash in: Dessert Nite details, pictures of dogs to classify for science, clothes David has rapidly grown out of!

Music in my head: The songs coming out of my firstborn's bedroom.

Books I'm reading: A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller. Presidential Courage: Brave Leaders and How They Changed America 1789-1989. by Michael Beschloss. All sorts of parts of books for the home school ride.

The Ponderings: Wondering why Walmart opens only one cash register and has 3 greeters. Thinking about what it felt like to be a 15 year old girl without the baggage of lost time and lost teeth. The gunfight at the OK Corral….

Sign yourself up now you darling bloggies, and come have cookies, cake, brownies, coffee, etc. on October 23. All the info is right there on the blog sidebar. Take a night off from twisting like a tornado and relax with some sweets and togetherness. It will be a nice spot to stop on this highway together!

Your friend on the pilgrim road,

Loriann

No comments: