Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Day 302 Knowledge vs. Wisdom

Dear friends,

"He who gets wisdom loves his own soul; he who cherishes understanding prospers."-Proverbs 19:8

I get a kick out of learning.

The kids are back to school, and I'm teaching David at home, learning right alongside him. I've always been a bit of a nerd, sort of dreamy when it comes to books - fiction and non fiction. I also totally dig maps! I could goof around with a map for a few hours and not get tired of it. Smitty used to tease me when I would watch the Weather Channel for long periods of time so I could see "the big map", showing the swirling fronts and unpredictable air masses. (My dear brother in law David makes maps for the U.S. Government! I think I missed my calling...) The only subject I'm not keen on is math. That might be an understatement. Thankfully, my husband is excellent at that foul discipline. Anyway, reading about the Bering Strait today, and Cameron Townsend, and taking apart paragraphs to find key words, and preparing a science notebook - I love that stuff. It's fun for me. The pursuit of knowledge is rewarding in a million ways. I hope I can keep some semblance of eyesight until I die, because if I couldn't read it would be sorrow upon sorrow. The cool thing is, there is a never ending reservoir of interesting topics on this earth. Our history, our natural world, people, stories, etc..., all make for a party for the brain. But there is a vast chasm between knowledge and wisdom.

I enjoy listening to smart people talk about subjects they enjoy. But there are a whole lot of smart people in the world without enough wisdom to fill a dixie cup. I will add that all of us could use a whole lot more of it than we have, because wisdom has to do with a depth and application of understanding, where knowledge can be superficial, or easily bumped by the next new theory. Knowledge is good, unless it produces arrogance. But wisdom is better, much better, and by its very nature doesn't produce arrogance. Because a prideful man has already proven himself unwise.

I have to say any knowledge I have gained, (and believe me when I tell you I'm not winning any Pulitzer prizes anytime soon) has been through a process generally enjoyable, though not always, and frequently a blast. What wisdom I have, which I long for more than anything in my cheesecloth head, has come through dismal failure, unwelcome loneliness, and at times, agonizing pain. Wisdom is hard won, and typically something you got when you weren't looking.

Sometimes when I watch my children make small, unwise decisions, I cringe, wishing like mad to protect them from the outcome I can see, even to something as simple as a wasteful purchase. But I am struggling to keep my hands off so they can gain a little wisdom. Ouch, it hurts.

I have seen an increased wisdom in my husband since the accident. He would never say it's so, but it is. His suffering has bought him something he wasn't looking for, and the Great One has provided understanding for a man who has been through something that makes no sense. Miss Rejoice, being a teenager, has not processed all that has happened yet. There are many reasons for that. But I am counting on God to give her "double for her trouble", and when she gets through this very steep place as a 15 year old girl on the pilgrim road, I believe she will have gained a profound wisdom that many never find. Above all the greatest wisdom is to know and love the Lord God. And in that, she is already on sound footing.

The Dessert Nite guest list continues to grow! Don't forget to sign up by Sept. 30th at smittythanks@gmail.com. For those of you who subscribe and don't see the side line on the blog, the date is Saturday, Oct 23. from 7-9. We can accommodate kids 12 and over. I hope you can all make it, I really do!

We're all learning and growing. And the more I learn, the more I know I don't know...

Your friend on the pilgrim road,

Loriann

No comments: