Sunday, September 12, 2010

Day 307 Untying Our Knots

Dear friend,

I was tackled by anxiety today. I'm sure many of you are acquainted with that ugly, deceitful specter. Often it moves in slyly, while you're not paying attention. For me, when I lose focus on the bigness of God, and get too wound up in the problems of the every day, the creeping crud gets it's claws in and bam! It's hard to shake. Sometimes anxiety can be debilitating. I'll get too many things on my plate, or perceive it that way, and the tentacles begin to tighten. That's when I have to get right back to simplicity. What really matters? What is really essential? And most important of all, what does Jesus have to say about the problem? Because He was a walking example of peace in the middle of a storm. He's got what it takes to take down that soul crusher. As always, the solution is to get real with God, tell Him all about it, and listen for that little voice saying what to do about it. Lots of times I already know what to do. It's getting the gumption up to change where I lack strength. So even in that, He's the solution. I may sound simple, really I am simple, except when I'm being complicated, which is how I get into these messes in the first place…

If I could overcome anxiety by walking with the Great One in November, I can certainly overcome it now. Always it's a matter of changing our way of thinking. (Sometimes people with extreme anxiety need the help of medication too, but that's another topic). Here's what the Book of Life says about being anxious:

Philippians 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

Pray. Ask. Thank. That's what I call keeping it simple.

On another note:
I talked to a resident in the Albany Med ER tonite who was in the hospital on November 8. She was filled with joy to know Steve and Hannah are ok. She's going to put up the invite to the Dessert Nite in the break room. Dr. Dailey, the ER doc on call that night, got an invitation right in his mailbox. These folks see this as their job, but what a job! I've never come home from work and said "Gee honey, I just saved someone's life today…" God bless them for it.

Keep it simple. Please pray for me to climb up over this hump. I'll do the same for you.

Your friend on the pilgrim road,

Loriann

2 comments:

Mary Louise said...

God breathed Phil.4:6 into my spirit last Friday morning. How come it's so hard to hold onto? I will pray that you can keep it foremost in your thoughts, and you can pray for me. No worry, just prayer with thanksgiving. Like you said, simple.

johandav said...

Thanks ML. As usual, you are simply profound.

Love you!