Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Update 2/17/10 Day 101

Dear friends,

Can you believe it? After schlepping around hothouses of germs, getting little sleep and eating far too many donuts, it took 100 days for me to get sick. God is really good! I'm feeling much better today, but still have a pain on my right side. I happened to have a Dr. appointment today, and she said to keep an eye on that pain, it's right where my gall bladder sits. I certainly can't complain, what with people in my own family and dear friends dealing with far greater pains. I am so grateful for my healthy body and fully functional mind. (My husband may question that second part).

Stephen used a cane today during therapy, and got lots of exercise in the fitness center. He rode the stationary bike, and a kind of sit down elliptical to get a little oxygen flowing through those arteries. While he was working out, I got in a conversation with a sweet young man, a 30 year old quadriplegic, with a better attitude about life than most fully functioning people. He is in college studying human services so he can help folks who have been catastrophically injured like him. It's amazing how much more there is to us than flesh and blood! With no use of his legs, and little of his arms, this young man is all about others. And his gratitude to be alive is striking. Surely the Great One has a great plan for his life! I was honored to share a little bit of it.

Genuine Joanne made us a spaghetti dinner tonite, and stayed with Bob the Earnest to eat with us. We had a beautiful time, and the food was delicious. (Her food always is!) I wish I could make a meal for all the meal makers, but right now I can only just keep up with the permutations of my day. I pray in the midst of it I can give some love and deliver some kindness to the folks in my path. One day I'll be able to be more proactive, but these are the parameters the Great One has placed around me for now. It's all ok. "Patience produces perserverance..."

Today starts the 40 days leading up to Easter. The resurrection. Hallelujah! But before the triumph came the wrestling, and the sorrow, and the cross... Our burdens don't compare to His, but He knows exactly what to allow (by that great mystery of His sovereignty) to bring us closer to Him. Not always comfortable, sometimes downright agonizing, but always for our good, and always with victory in mind. Your struggles and mine can be altered by our perspective. One man's sore toe can cause more fussing and fuming than the plight of the paraplegic, until he sees that man's burden. I'm so far from understanding all of it, but I do see glimpses of pain's power to transform us and the world around us. It's a change of perspective, and it turns the boulders in the way into stepping stones along the road. I hope this makes sense. If not, leave it behind.

I thank you once again for your travailing with me on the pilgrim road. It's made all the difference. I look forward to walking the Lenten road with you for the next 40 days. It's a prime time to tuck in close to the Great One. He's the One with the perfect perspective.

"The Lord bless you and keep you,
The Lord make His face shine upon you,
And give you peace, and give you peace,
And give you peace forever..."

Your friend on the pilgrim road,

Loriann

No comments: