Thursday, February 11, 2010

Update 2/11/10 Day 95

Dear friends,

Thank you for your prayers yesterday. I was hoverboarded over that terrible anguish by your kindness. There are some things one just has to tough out when going up a mountain. But it sure helps when you've got some behind pushing and some ahead pulling. That's the picture in my head. Ropes tied, relentless determination, lots of heave-hoing. I love you for it.

I met a lady in Stewart's today while I was getting coffee. She was trying to find Sunnyview (around the corner). I struck up a conversation with her (I know you're shocked by that), and learned that her son was injured in a snowmobiling accident with a spinal cord injury. I saw that look in her eyes. I know it well. I put my arms around her and told her I was sorry. I also told her how uplifting a place Sunnyview is. Later, we met up at Sunnyview, and she stopped and gave me a hug. She was so relieved there was a place like this. I'm telling you, this is what I live for. A moment to encourage someone suffering. Even a moment is joy. There are people everywhere, every day who are in pain. It doesn't take much to bring a little comfort. But so many days I don't see them. I'm distracted. God help me to see them. "For what does the Lord require of thee? To do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God..." Amen.

Stephen actually walked up a few steps today during physical therapy. Mary gave him a cane, and he did a great job! It also gets his knees bending, an important part of normal walking. Please keep praying about his pain and stiffness. They are all expected with such extensive injuries, but not appreciated. Hercules is working very hard to get back to "normal" (whatever the heck that is).

Thanks to Lovely (inside and out) Michelle S., we found a guitar teacher for Hannah. She will start next Friday and go every other week. She already found chords on the internet and started teaching herself! She got some blister on her thumb from strumming without a pick. Her brother (Joe) nearly hit the roof when he saw it. He informed her he has a hundred picks, and why did she do that to herself. Gotta love the sibling thing. Hannah was given an Ovation guitar by one of her nurses at Sunnyview who moved to Hawaii. Joseph covets that guitar, he pines for that guitar. He already has 3 guitars, so I guess he'll be alright...

I'm going to sign off early tonite. Going to listen to David sing some songs from his school musical (he's been singing day and night), then maybe play 20 questions and finally watch an old Bogart picture. Hoping for a good hair day tomorrow - haven't had one of those in a while. And if I don't get some exercise soon I'm going to scream. I think it will help the stress level too.

Let's all go do justly, and love mercy, and walk humbly with our God. What a calling! What a road!

Your friend on the pilgrim road,

Loriann

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Loriann,

Here is a response from Rosebud:

Susan, again would you please forward this to Loriann?
Dear Loriann,
Not one of us out here on the Pilgrim road could walk one minute in your shoes!!! You never cease to amaze me as you pen the pain of your heart and life and at the same time encourage each and every one of us. That said, I want to encourage you. Today I visited a friend from church with ALS. It was the first time I saw in her eyes how trapped she must feel. She can no longer speak, and has been confined to her wheelchair for years. She has a traic tube in and around the clock nurses, but the State wants to take control of her and her life and put her in a home to die. I asked the Lord for a verse or chapter for me to read and encourage her, and He gave me Hebrews 11. That chapter speaks about Faith, and living by Faith. I feel that you, through these 94 days have been living your life through and by Faith. You have the right to mourn what has taken place, the loss and the lessons, but don't you dare think for one minute that you in any way are
to blame. You have your husband and beautiful daughter, and your sons are stronger than you think. You have my prayers every day and I've spoken of your "road" to almost everyone I come in contact with. We all hope and pray that God forbid, if any of us had to go through what you have, we may do so with the grace, faith and dignity that you have. I've said it before and I'll say it again, "you are me hero", and your family is blessed beyond measure to have you at the helm!
Yours on the pilgrim road,
Rosebud DiGesare

Unknown said...

And here's another from our Prayer Chain:

Hi Sue,

I have sent you a message before for the Smith's, and for some reason when I go to her blog, I cannot register to write to Loriann, but again wanted to thank her for her transparency every single day. She is such an incredible person, with such truth and integrity. I look forward each day to her message, look forward each day to the reminder from God that our blessings are not in balance with others challenges, but rather we take turns and our job is to support and encourage each other when each of us needs that extra support. It is an honor to pray for their family and I feel so blessed by Loriann and her message - I don't think I have ever met anyone like her in my entire life.

All the best,
Kim Otis

Anonymous said...

leave your comments as Anonymous or check your "cookies" settings. Then your comments shoul dgo through.