Friday, July 9, 2010

8 months since crash

Dear friends,

At times I think I’m the push me-pull you from Dr. Dolittle. This scripture about sums it up:

“So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord.” Romans 7:22-25

The pilgrim road is no place for leaning back and kicking off. There’s a war going on down here, and it’s not merely physical. If oil spills and financial crisis’ and terrorist attacks don’t convince you this is a tinder box, then most likely your own struggle to do what’s right does. At least I can say so for me. My tendency to be irritable over minor things, and to make subtle, unseen judgments about people and to envy other folks are three examples just from today of the “law of sin at work within my members”. I hate seeing these ugly things in myself. But I no longer rummage around in them, feeling crummy for days on end. "Thanks be to God, through Jesus Christ our Lord" I can keep short accounts with the Great One. Repentance is the solution to self loathing. The Son of God paid a sturdy price to open the door to relationship and peace with God. To wallow in our darkness would be a tragedy, given that facing up to the thing, turning from it and getting back up to walk with God is offered by the grace of the Great Liberator. Anyway, I thought one of you dear ones might need to be reminded that you’re not alone in your battle to live a life of love. The llama’s pull both ways. But if the llama driver (is that what you would call one of those guys?) shows the way and gently pulls the rope, the push me- pull you can go in the right direction. Still, it takes a little want-to – and a healthy dose of rugged humility. Plus a watchful eye on the look-out for our shadows.

Happy, happy news! Smitty can go swimming! Bob the Builder (the brilliant Dr. Bagchi), gave the all clear signal today for pools, lakes and oceans. He also ordered an MRI of Stephen’s bad shoulder, since the blasted thing is still stuck. The medical folks will be checking for a torn rotator cuff, which Dr. B. and one of the therapists suspects. I’m hoping it’s not that. Because I think that means more surgery. To be honest, here’s how I feel: enough with the surgeries already! Of course if I get an iron clad guarantee it will help I’m all for it. HA! Guarantee. I made a funny! The only guarantee is the unending faithfulness of the Almighty in every circumstance. Anything beyond that, and we’re living in Dr. Dolittle land…

More happy news! The Smith Family Thanks You Dessert Nite has a date: Saturday, October 23 at 7pm. In the future there will be a tab on the blog to enable you to let us know you’re coming so we can make sure there are plenty of goodies for everyone. I’ll be reminding you of this festive event from time to time. Put it on your calendar now, because before you know it the crisp will be back in the air and we’ll be trading sandcastles for pumpkins. But believe me, I’m not rushing summer along. I love the summer...

You push me, I'll pull you, and together with the Great One's help, we'll finish strong on this crazy highway.

Your friend on the pilgrim road,

Loriann

No comments: