Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Day 289 Gary Larson is my Speed About Now

Dear friends,

I don't really have anything to say tonite. Here's the truth of it: I'm blah. Ever been blah? Like gray sweatpants or a dry turkey sandwich? Like corn on the cob without butter and salt? I'm looking for a good funny story! That would put some color in my dull brain. But let's face it, every day can't be a box of crayolas.

Ever seen the Far Side cartoon where the fish is in the bowl marked "pirahna", and the cat is standing by with bald legs? Hysterical. I also love the one with the flies climbing up the screen, and one says to the other something along the lines of "first Al, then Pete, I'm telling you Whitey, we're dropping like ourselves..." If you care to, send me your favorite Far Side cartoon.

Sometimes I think way too hard about things, and I guess I need a break. This happens from time to time. I ponder, I ruminate, I brood, and then it's time for a change. By nature I am a muser. I like to cogitate on ideas and lean into the wind of understanding. But not tonite. Tonite my heart is far away from thinking through the ills of human nature (mine first of all). I'm no where near the car accident or the consequences of the fateful day that hang on. It's rather an "America's funniest videos" kind of mood, even though it's time for the 11 o'clock news.

Do you ever get this way? Of course you do. (At least I hope I'm not the only one...) This isn't to say I didn't do what I was supposed to do today. I even had a chance to dish out some love to someone who needed a healthy dose - sheer joy!
I worked on my song lyrics and made a big pot of beef barley soup for the family. I spent some time with the Great One. It's just that...well, it's just that I have no UMPH. I'm blah.

Fear not if you are blah too. It happens. We really are "treasures in jars of clay". Our bodies get old, get tired, are subject to the weather, what we eat, and a thousand other variables. We still have to do the next right thing, but there might not be any cayenne pepper in it for a bit. In a way that's the real test of faith. Living it out when you don't really feel like it. Putting one cement filled shoe in front of the other.

Anyway, I'm going to bed. Maybe tomorrow blah will be replace by "zing". Who knows? Doesn't matter though. There are still mountains to climb, people to love, floors to sweep. Jesus must have felt blah sometimes too when He was zipped up in flesh and blood. Too bad he didn't have that Far Side cartoon with the dinosaurs smoking, looking all shifty eyed, with the passage underneath: "the real reason dinosaurs went extinct..."

Your friend on the pilgrim road,

Loriann

For those of you who get this blog by subscribing, the email address to let me know you're coming to the dessert nite is
smittythanks@gmail.com. I so want all of you to be there!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some days my get-up-and-go got up and left.

Today wasn't one of them.

But I better get to bed or tomorrow might be one of them.

We love you.

Lorraine & Ernie